The Covid Committee meeting this Monday has decided to maintain the measures in place to deal with the pandemic for another week despite the fact that the trend of new positive cases continues to decline in the Region of Murcia. Over the past week the rate of infection has fallen by 20% and in the last 24 hours 1,621 new cases have been registered compared to 2,400 last Sunday. The cumulative incidence rate is currently 5,200 cases per 100,000 inhabitants, compared to 6,000 cases last Monday.
The Minister of Health, Juan José Pedreño, has indicated at a press conference that we are in a “new trend of containment and decline” of the sixth wave, although he recalled the need to continue to comply with protective measures. The Region of Murcia and all its municipalities remain at NIvel 4 Very High risk, so the current measures will remain in force until 4 February.
As a novelty, the Ministry of Health launches from 15:00 hours this Monday a new tab on the portal and app MurciaSalud in which you can report a positive case of covid detected by a self-test done at home and that will be included in the patient’s medical record. This is a measure aimed at those people who do not need sick leave or medical assistance and who will not have to repeat the test at the health centre.
CONTROVERSY OVER THE THIRD DOSE
The spokesperson for the Covid Committee and member of the vaccines committee, the epidemiologist Jaime Pérez, has responded to the discussions among the medical profession about the possible overload that third doses could mean for the immune system. Pérez says that almost all vaccines have a three-dose schedule for those over 20 years of age and insists that the most appropriate thing to do is to receive the third vaccine.
A booster dose that has not yet taken off. The Health Minister says that, according to the latest epidemiological report, in the last two weeks the highest incidence rate is concentrated among those aged 50 to 59. Juan José Pedreño has once again called for the need to be vaccinated with the third dose “because it reinforces immunity and reduces the possibility of falling ill and being admitted to hospital and ICU, as well as mortality”.
With regard to the vaccination campaign, Pedreño appealed for solidarity to continue getting immunised and increase protection against the virus, as there are still more than 30,000 free appointments for vaccination this week, which is why he encouraged those who have not yet done so to get vaccinated.
On the other hand, appointments are now open for the third dose or booster dose for all age groups from 18 to 50 years old. This appointment is not necessary for the paediatric vaccination of 5 to 11 year olds, of whom 64,378 children have already been vaccinated, nor for the third dose for those over 50 years of age.
To date, 1,214,914 people have received the full schedule and 485,152 have received the third dose. In the last week, around 75,000 doses have been administered.