Work on the north and south collectors being built by the regional government in San Javier will be completed by the end of the year

The works have an investment of six million euros and will help to prevent flooding, as well as the entry of the first rainwater runoff into the Mar Menor.

The work on the northern and southern rainwater collectors in San Javier and the lamination reservoir where these collectors will flow to divert the water to the San Javier treatment plant will be completed by the end of the year. This was announced today in San Javier by the Regional Minister for Water, Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries, Sara Rubira, during a visit to the works with the Mayor of San Javier, José Miguel Luengo, which was also attended by the Councillor for Public Services, María Dolores Martínez, and the Councillor for Agriculture, Sergio Martínez. The project, which covers a total of 4.2 kilometres with an investment of six million euros, aims to help minimise the effects of torrential rains in the town, as well as the entry of the first rainwater runoff into the Mar Menor.

The Mayor of San Javier, José Miguel Luengo recalled that the two collectors will help to mitigate the flooding that occurs in areas such as the Los Ríos neighbourhood, the IES Mar Menor area, among others, and the southern area of the town such as Avenida Neptuno, through which the southern collector runs. José Miguel Luengo, who expressed his satisfaction and gratitude to the regional government for the works “which will make us feel safer”, warned that “for these collectors to be more effective it is necessary for the Confederación Hidrográfica del Segura to build the nine dykes planned upstream where the Cobatillas wadi is generated and thus avoid the virulence with which the water reaches our municipality”.

The councillor, Sara Rubira, explained that the works “will help to prevent flooding by creating separate sewage and rainwater networks” and stressed that they will also “prevent the first waters from heavy rains from reaching the Mar Menor, as they have a higher concentration of pollutants due to dragging”.

The work consists of laying 1.8km of 1.8m diameter pipes in the main collector and 2.4km of one-metre diameter pipes in the rest. These collectors come together in Calle Cabo Roches, opposite the beginning of Calle Cabo Huertas. From there, the first runoff water is transferred to a storage reservoir with a total capacity of 33,250m3, which is being built next to the Wastewater Treatment Plant. In both the north and south collectors, the necessary manholes will be built, the rainwater collection network by means of gutters with cast iron grilles, replacement of all the affected services and paving and signposting.

The project for the construction of the north and south rainwater collectors and the lamination reservoir in the municipality of San Javier is 80 percent financed by the European Union through the ERDF Fund and the remaining 20 percent by the Autonomous Community.

Resize text-+=

By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. /Si continúas usando este sitio, aceptas el uso de cookies. Más información

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best possible browsing experience. By continuing to use this website without changing your cookie settings or by clicking "Accept", you consent to this. Los ajustes de cookies en esta web están configurados para «permitir las cookies» y ofrecerte la mejor experiencia de navegación posible. Si sigues usando esta web sin cambiar tus ajustes de cookies o haces clic en «Aceptar», estarás dando tu consentimiento a esto.