The search for the 15-year-old boy who disappeared in the Mar Menor continues

Search for the boy who disappeared when the boat in which he was sailing sank in the Mar Menor.

Civil Protection volunteers from Los Alcázares and Cartagena are searching by land and sea to try to find something that leads them to the 15-year-old Petrov, who disappeared when the canoe in which he was travelling with two friends was wrecked.

“The boat lurched and the three of us fell into the water,” the oldest of the survivors told investigators, according to sources close to the case. The 22-year-old says he tried to save his companions, but lost sight of the youngest. They swam and shouted for help, but Petrov was unsuccessful.

The Guardia Civil and emergency services will examine Perdiguera Island, Islas Menores and Playa Honda.

The Guardia Civil has opened an investigation to try to clarify what happened in the early hours of that morning, about which the two survivors have given contradictory accounts. The boys also point out that they have gaps in their memories of what happened.

Although the search for the 15-year-old Petrov, who disappeared early on Friday morning in the waters of the Mar Menor when he was in a kayak with two of his friends, was halted on Saturday, a warning from a neighbour led to a Civil Protection boat being mobilised again. Witnesses said that, off the beach of La Encarnación in Los Alcázares, they had seen what they thought was a body floating in the water. However, they were branches.

Survivors gave investigators conflicting accounts of what they were doing in the water in the early hours of the morning.

In the early hours of that morning, after a neighbour heard the cries for help, two officers (a local police officer and a civil guard) boarded a dinghy from the Club Náutico, to search the sea. A rescue boat from the municipal Civil Protection service and another from the Los Alcázares Yacht Club was then mobilised, which located two young men, aged 16 and 22, at 3.25 a.m., who were evacuated to the port and placed at the disposal of the medical services.

An 061 ambulance was already waiting at the port, whose medics attended to the boys (aged 16 and 22 respectively), to take them to Los Arcos. They were conscious and said that there were three of them: their friend Petrov, the youngest of the group, who was also in the canoe with them, was missing. The search operation was then deployed by land, sea and air. It involved patrols from the Local Police, Guardia Civil, Red Cross and Civil Protection boats and the Maritime Rescue helicopter. Later, another helicopter joined in. Members of the General Air Academy (AGA) also left in a boat.

As for the canoe in which the boys were sailing, it was found and towed to the port of Los Alcázares. According to sources close to the case, it did not belong to the boys, but was stolen. Clarifying this matter was put on the back burner when the priority is to locate the missing young man.

Resize text-+=

By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. /Si continúas usando este sitio, aceptas el uso de cookies. Más información

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best possible browsing experience. By continuing to use this website without changing your cookie settings or by clicking "Accept", you consent to this. Los ajustes de cookies en esta web están configurados para «permitir las cookies» y ofrecerte la mejor experiencia de navegación posible. Si sigues usando esta web sin cambiar tus ajustes de cookies o haces clic en «Aceptar», estarás dando tu consentimiento a esto.